Costa Rica is a tourist country, full of nature, beautiful beaches and delicious foods. You visit Costa Rica, try our meals, you want to know some recipes of our typical dishes and more, it is difficult to come to Costa Rica and not see how in love we Costa Ricans are with rice and beans, since you will see it in all the typical menus. Our recipes in Costa Rica are delicious and very simple
When you visit Costa Rica and go to a restaurant for breakfast, they usually offer you the typical dish in the morning, which would be the famous Gallo Pinto.
Ticos look at you like you’re a little crazy if you ask how to do it; as if you were asking a British man how to make a cup of tea. Everyone knows they just cook the beans, cook the rice, and then cook them together, it’s almost simple!
Gallo Pinto Recipe
In several Central American countries, the typical gallo pinto is consumed, prepared in different ways, but it is also true that it is a must on Costa Rican tables, especially at breakfast. It is not easy to discover in which exact place on the continent this recipe was born, but we can affirm that it was in Costa Rica where it was baptized in this original way.
- 3 cups of cooked white rice.
- 3 cups of cooked black or red beans, a little of the bean broth.
- ¼ of each of this diced bite chili, onion, cilantro
- 2 medium tablespoons of Lizano sauce
- 1 teaspoon margarine margarine (for a more delicious flavor, we will use margarine not oil.
It is a simple mix of these ingredients.
- In a frying pan, heat the margarine, in which we are going to fry the bites, only the chili and onion.
- After a short time we add the beans to fry for about 5 minutes, with a little cooking broth if we observe it very dry and the lizano sauce, which is a very famous sauce in Costa Rica.
- And finally, add rice and stir everything together, with a little coriander, for about 3 to 5 more minutes.
We can accompany this delicious Gallo Pinto dish with ripe bananas, eggs, custard, bacon, cheese, other people add chicken in sauce or meat in sauce, a delicious flavor.
Another recipe or dish that you would like to know or learn from Costa Rica could be the chifrijo, it is not so typical, but it is widely served in bars and sodas and sodas. It is perfect for informal gatherings with friends or eating with the family.
It is a dish that originates in bars and canteens in San Jose, and its name is based on 2 of its ingredients, which would be chicharrones and beans.
It is a dish that can be had as a main dish or an appetizer.
- 3 cups of rice
- 1 kilogram of tender beans
- ½ kilogram of Chicharrón
- 1 kilogram of Tomatoes
- 1 sweet chili (chili, onion, cilantro)
- 1 large onion
- 1 roll of coriander
- 3 and a half tablespoons of salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 package of tortillas for nacho
- Various lemons
- The rice is made in the traditional way: garlic and onion are sautéed, then the rice is added, approximately 3.5 of water is added to the 3 cups of rice, then when it is close to being ready add sweet chili and cilantro to taste.
- For the pico de gallo: chop the tomatoes, cilantro, sweet chili peppers and onion, stir, adding lemon to taste.
- The tender beans are put in a large pot and water, cilantro, garlic and salt are added to taste. They are cooked long enough to make them soft. If you need water you can add it while they cook, they last about an hour.
- To serve, put the rice in the background, on top the tender beans and the chopped pork rinds, then the pico de gallo (it would be the chopped tomato), to finish it, put avocado cut into strips to make it look better, the tortillas in a corner or surrounding the plate as an edible decoration.
Some people eat to live, some live to eat. For me, I live for food and coffee, my vices of choice. I personally find that there is nothing better than sharing a satisfying meal with company I enjoy and then chatting over cups of brown juice. For now, let's focus on...
One of the most common questions I get from people who are thinking of coming to Costa Rica is, where is the best place to go? What is the “crowning jewel” of Costa Rica. The answer to that question is like all other complex and philosophical questions...it depends....
It’s diverse and not in the way you might think. Costa Rica is such a diverse place. Now before your eyes roll at this overused word in western culture, give me a chance to explain and I think you will agree, the word diversity actually fits here. What is diversity...
It is no surprise that the popular vacation and expat destination of Costa Rica is a top retirement destination. In 2018, Costa Rica earned the number one spot on International Living’s Annual Global Retirement Index for 2018. The index compares 24 countries that give...